Top facebook2x Top twitter2x Top youtube2x Top instagram2x Top email2x Email us Top search2x Basket Login
☰ More

Merlin Rocket

Member of Merlin Rocket Association (MROA) - It is a class rule that all owners of Merlins that race are members of the MROA. Simply print out an Application form from Failure to be a member may exclude you from open meetings.

Certification Requirements for Merlin Rockets

To sail in compliance with requirements and certainly at an open meeting certification of your boat is required. This takes the form of three elements: Boat size, sails size and buoyancy. The following may be of use in obtaining correct certification:

Boat measurement Certificate

- If you have acquired your boat With a certificate - send it to the Technical Dept, RYA, Ensign Way, Hamble, Hants, SO31 4YA (Tel: 023 8060 4100) and advise them that a) you are now the owner of the boat which is kept at TSC and b) to the best of your knowledge no significant alterations have been made to the hull.

- If you have acquired your boat Without a certificate - write to the Technical Dept. ( as above) and request a certificate for your Merlin Rocket No xxxx . If the boat has been registered then it is likely they will be able to send you a copy.

Sail Measurement Certification

Sails need to be measured by a qualified measurer. Once measured he will mark on the sails the size of each sail and sign and date the measurement.

With regard to sails, we do not register sails on the certificate - there are no restrictions on how many you have. What we do have to do is to check that the sail measurements match the rig set up on the certificate, in terms of total area (M&J), main half and three quarter height, and jib area. We also need to check the boom band dimension against the sail and the certified measurement.'

Sails can be measured by any Merlin Rocket Owners Assn. measurer. Please contact the MROA to find a qualified measurer.


This is semi self certified. You can perform the test as detailed in the Merlin Rocket Class Rules (copy held in the white ring binder in the Race Box or print your own copy as above paragraph) but you will need a 'club official' to witness the test. (cost usually a beer!!).


It is recommended by the Club, RYA and MR Assn that third party insurance should be taken out. This is readily available, check the web for Merlin Rocket insurance or talk to another owner. CraftInsure is a good company to use for this and it can be set up on-line.

Thames Licence

This is a requirement of the Environment Agency. This annual licence can be obtained from the Environment Agency. Download the application form from . Alternatively a licence may be obtained from the lock keeper Molesey Lock.

© 2024 Thames Sailing Club powered by Sailing Club Manager